Joy!!!

Joy!!!

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Life without my daddy

Well, I have now lived 3 weeks without my precious daddy....it's very strange.

My last post was on August 20th and daddy died on September 2nd. We found out about the cancer on August 5th and buried him on September 5th. Yes, I said buried... I know in my previous post that I said we would have him cremated but after more thought and remembering other conservations with daddy we changed our minds. We had a beautiful service at Parkway and buried him in McComb where mama will be buried beside him. We have been overwhelmed by the number of people who brought food, sent cards, sent plants or flowers, came to the visitation and/or the service, loved us and prayed for us over the last few weeks. We can never thank you all enough!!

I miss daddy every day... I miss him calling me numerous times a day... I miss him being the first person I called every morning and the last one I called every night. I miss him pulling up in my driveway and blowing the horn so I would come out, pull up a lawn chair and visit with him for awhile. I miss him coming by with his left over supper, usually fried fish, to see if Bill wanted it. I miss him asking me questions about all my girls and their families, wanting to be sure they were okay, safe and happy. I miss knowing that up until the last few months he would be seeing mama and taking her a shake everyday. I know there are going to be many hard times missing him... already thinking about Christmas and how strange it will be to not have him there. Although... he really will be there, won't he? He will be there in the Christmas memories in each of our minds, he will be there in the smiles and laughter as we gather to open gifts, he will be there as we remember how much he loved to eat all the delicious food we will share, most importantly he will be there in the love that we show to one another because he taught us so much about how to love each other and everybody we come in contact with in this ole world. Yep...he will be there!

1 comment:

David and Sandy Layton said...

Martha,
I can't begin to tell you how much I love reading your blogs. I have no idea what you are going through, but I can only imagine that it is very difficult. But, you are such a strong christian as evidenced by your ability to be able to write about your daddy in such a wonderful way. I think about losing my daddy and I honestly feel like I'd be locked up somewhere in a mental ward. I know that I have found out God does'nt put more on us than we can bare, but it does'nt seem like it at times. Mr. Jim would be so proud of you and Becky in the way you are handling this. The first holiday after the death of a loved one is, I would imagine, the hardest. And, I also know that the pain lessens in time, but we never quite get over losing loved ones. Or quit missing them. I just want to tell you that I'm very sorry for ya'll's loss, but very happy your daddy did'nt have to suffer and went rather quickly. Just think of the peace and happiness he must be feeling right now living in the presense of Jesus!! When my mama lost her mother over 35 yrs. ago, who also had cancer, she was heartbroken, but told me she would'nt want her mother back if she had to be in pain and suffering. So, once again, God knows best! Take care...love..Sandy